“Oh, hello, who are you? Think I'll follow you around for a while.”
- —The Stranger
The Stranger is a Follower Card. During a Twitch stream, LoG confirmed that the card depicts a hairless cat to be The Stranger. The card symbol is a Moon, however, this card never appears in the Hero's hand and cannot be burned in Combat or Perils.
Clingy, Fickle and Misleading.
Me? No... I'm okay. Never mind me.
- —THE STRANGER
Unlike other Follower Cards, which can usually be obtained by simple quests or other means, The Stranger is exclusive to specific Dungeons. The Stranger cannot be found when the Follower symbol is flipped, but rather, has it's own unique symbol. Dungeons will only ever have one Stranger symbol, making the odds of acquiring this card nearly impossible.
The only other way to recruit The Stranger is to stand beside a Hero who already has it. The Stranger will exclaim, "Ooh, who is this?!" and use a Dungeon-style flip to determine whether he equips to that Hero's shelf or remains as he is.
The Stranger does not act like other card in the Armello universe, as it's behavior is very unique. When rolled in a Dungeon or obtained from another Hero, The Stranger will worm it's way into the Hero's shelf. It is automatically recruited when acquired, and the Hero is not given any other option but to accept its presence. (If all Follower slots are taken, The Stranger will "kill" one of them and take its spot.) Before that Hero's every turn, The Stranger will force them onto another tile, evoking the words "Hero has been led astray by The Stranger" in the Que, while The Stranger himself has a small snippet of dialogue. It does not consume AP, and the Hero is still left with their normal three moves. The only exception to this rule is when the Hero is on their Quest tile, in which case the Quest will play out first. Card Drawings will also be preformed beforehand.
This can be very annoying (particularly for Corrupted Heroes who could be lead straight into a Stone Circle), but if The Stranger's power is utilized properly, it can be very effective. In fact, it can be game-changing. The Stranger can set you back at times, but it can also bring you ever closer to your goals, one step at a time. A major pro about this power allows respawned Heroes a free move out of their Clan Grounds.
If you do unexpectedly stumble upon this rule-breaking follower, it's a good idea to stock up on Malice Rising (more appropriate for Rot-goers) or Wall of Thorns cards to avoid landing in bad places. Blocking off certain paths with banes and/or thorn walls can also be a big advantage, as it can cause The Stranger to get you closer to your Quests or other desired places. (This, however, is only a possibility, unless the tile you want is the only one available. There is still a chance the plan can backfire.)
This card can only be removed from your shelf if you enter The Palace (in which The King will force it to leave), The Stranger jumps to an adjacent Hero, or if Beheaded is played on you, killing The Stranger (confirmed possible by League of Geeks via Twitch).
Very much unlike any other card in Armello yet, The Stranger does have communications and a personality! This was not available before the Fourth Hotfix of Version 1.2, but now The Stranger has several snippets of dialogue presented similarly to the Followers in the Prologue. The Stranger's face artwork from the card appears in a large circle, and a speech bubble with worn-looking edges appears to the right of it.
His dialogue includes the following:
- "Oh, hello, who are you? Think I'll follow you around for a while." — When obtained.
- "Is this the way? I think this is the way." — When leading the Hero astray.
- "This way, Hero! Oh sorry, that's right. You're the boss. My mistake." — When leading the Hero astray.
- "Over here there's a great little-- oh... no, sorry. Got a lil' confused." — When leading the Hero astray.
- "Look, you're great, but a cat's gotta go where the gold is." — Upon being "stolen" by a Bribery card.
The Stranger's dialogue seems to point to him being either dangerously bewildered and flighty or cleverly acting foolish to his own benefit. League of Geeks said during a Twitch Stream that The Stranger likes to have new adventures with different Heroes, explaining his peculiar switching behavior.
- The Stranger was released in Version 1.2 of Armello (Which was also called "The Stranger") along with four other cards: Armistice, Tower Shield, Bubble Tea and Rotten Fog. (However, The Stranger is the only one of these five cards that acts in the manner it does.)
- The Stranger is the only card in the Armello universe that exhibits this behavior.
- The Stranger is the only Follower Card in the Armello universe that recruits unconditionally.
- The Stranger is one of ten cards that cannot be drawn from the three decks or won in regular Quests, the other nine being: Wyldhide, Crown of Armello, Pride's Edge, An Unseen Death, Mother's Maze, Fool's Fountain, The Tricking Paths, Moon Scythe, and Raven's Beak Dagger.
- Although it briefly appears with equipped items and followers on the Combat screen when recruited, The Stranger does not effect battles in any way.
- If the Hero is completely surrounded by NPCs, Heroes, Wall of Thorns or the Palace, The Stranger will not force them to move.
- The Stranger was originally able to transfer to other Heroes via combat, but as of the Fourth Version 1.2 hotfix, its behavior has been adjusted to what it is now.
- The Stranger's brief interaction with the King indicates a backstory between the two characters. When the King insults The Stranger and orders him to "begone", The Stranger says simply: "What?! That's no way to greet an old friend!" before disappearing.